Alliance Healthcare are part of the Alliance Boots Group, which supplies medicines, other healthcare products and related services to pharmacies, doctors, health centres and hospitals in nine principal countries.
Their Pharmaceutical Wholesale businesses provides high core service levels to pharmacists in terms of frequency of delivery, product availability, delivery accuracy, timeliness and reliability at competitive prices. They also offer customer’s innovative added-value services which help pharmacists develop their own businesses. Alliance Boots consistently deliver high standards of efficiency and effectiveness.
In addition to the wholesale of medicines and other healthcare products, Alliance Boots provide services to pharmaceutical manufacturers who are increasingly changing and adapting their approaches to distribution while at the same time outsourcing non-core activities. These services include pre-wholesale and contract logistics, direct deliveries to pharmacies, and specialised medicine delivery including related home healthcare.
Scale is very important in pharmaceutical wholesaling. Alliance Boots ranks as one of the top three pharmaceutical wholesalers/distributors in almost all Western European markets in which they operate. In recent years they have entered the fast growing Russian and Chinese markets.
Why did they need vehicle tracking?
- To Increase MPG, reducing overall fuel spend.
- To monitor driver hours worked.
- The ability to have total visibility in real time of all vehicle locations and delivery status throughout the UK.
- To free up management time by not having to call drivers to establish locations and then call customer back.
- To fulfil their on the road health and safety and lone worker obligations and give added security to drivers.
- To enhance customers service levels.
- To increase route efficiencies.
- Increase fleet utilisation.
What was the solution?
- Agreement directly with financially stable UK manufacturer.
- Robust and reliable hardware to ensure minimal downtime for a fleet of 1k vehicles.
- 60 second and 45 degree turn locations refreshed every two minutes to ensure real time tracking in the UK.
- Detailed journey replays to give definitive information for route analysis and maximum efficiencies.
- Simple time on site report to show all vehicle stops and durations.
- User friendly system for all to use.
- Automated vehicle utilisation reporting.
- Automated KPI events.
Why did they choose a BOX Telematics solution?
Alliance Healthcare required a reliable, robust solution to work throughout the UK from an established and financially stable supplier and trusted a BOX Partner in ETS Business Solutions to make the correct recommendation.
What were the results and the benefits gained?
- Reduced harsh acceleration, harsh breaking and speeding events.
- dentification of vehicles not fully utilised.
- Reliable live tracking allowing customer service level agreements to be met and proved if required.
- Management are no longer allocating time to calling drivers for updates on location as the system is live at all times.
- Clear routing analysis throughout the UK to ensure best route choices are selected by logistics.
- Increased MPG and steady reduction of overall fuel spend.
- Identified unacceptable time spent on site and in the depot
“We worked with our BOX Partner, ETS Business Solutions, over a period of almost seven months to ensure they understood our business requirements and we understood their products. Together we identified a solution which would satisfy our specific needs, and undertook a pilot study to ensure the theory translated effectively into reality. Every stage of the process was considered in detail and audited to prove fit for purpose. We received excellent support and project management input throughout the whole process. The installation of equipment into the national fleet of over 900 vehicles was smooth and trouble-free, and there have been no issues since ‘Go-Live’.
We now have a strong relationship with our BOX Partner and BOX themselves, and will continue to maintain a close relationship with them for ongoing support and potential future projects.
Senior operational managers have been very complimentary on the performance of the system to date and as a result I would not hesitate to recommend BOX Telematics solutions to other organisations.”
National Distribution Projects Manager at Alliance Healthcare